Insurance Claims-In-home Childcare Support

Care & Assistance in Injury Claims

If you need care and assistance with looking after your children due to your accident injuries, or you are likely to need such help in the future, you may be able to include a claim for such child care assistance in your personal injury claim, in some circumstances even when you haven’t paid someone to assist you.

Care and assistance claims can be made in: public liability, motor vehicle accident, medical negligence and common law negligence workers’ compensation claims. A paid services claim may arise when the injured person has to pay, for example:
a carer to live within the injured person’s premises or travel to the premises on a regular basis

Abracadabra is already an established provider to many Insurance Companies, Law Firms & Rehabilitation Services. Our normal operating hours are from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday and we also provide an emergency outside hours contact number (0403 222 117) which you can text for emergency bookings and means you will have access to our quality services when needed. We service Australia Wide both Capital Cities and Regional Areas so you can rely on us exclusively as your preferred supplier.

Flexible Engagement & Agreements

There are so many options when you partner with us, it’s all part of the personal service you receive from our Agency.

Let us be your first point of contact and you will see why we are the established leaders in providing family friendly care & assistance in Injury Claims nationally.

How much will I pay the agency for casual bookings?

We have a casual daily booking fee and a charge out hourly rate. The hourly rates include:

    • Current Market/Award Rate
    • Payroll Tax
    • Superannuation
    • Casual Leave Loading
    • Workers Compensation
    • Public Liability Insurance
    • Administration Fee covers processing pays and associated bank fees

Contact us so we can discuss your specific requirements and provide you with a tailored quote.

How do we pay the agency?

You can either let your policy provider know that we are your preferred supplier and we can invoice them directly or if your policy provider has provided you with funding we can charge you directly for the booking fee and indicated hours to be worked.

The agency booking fee is payable at the time of the booking via Corporate Credit Card or we can engage in an invoice term agreement to suit your internal processes. The assigned carer will be provided with a timesheet to bring along with them to the assignment for completion at the end of the working week. We ask that you please authorize the timesheet by signing and dating. It is the carers responsible to return the timesheet to us for payment of hours worked.